Tuesday, January 16, 2007

WHY STOP AT 2013?


Tedford officially gets a four-year extension from the University that would keep him at Berkeley until 2013. A raise of some sort is part of the package, though it's apparently subject to a vote of UC Regents on Thursday. That would jump JT from his current base of $1.5 and further separate him and Pete Carroll from other coaches in the conference in terms of compensation. One interesting and potentially disquieting tidbit: the new deal does not have the concept of a big bonus if JT stays at Cal for the duration of the contract. Instead, he would get smaller payments for every two years of service.

All in all, it's great news, and good quotes from Tedford about the superior quality of life in the Bay Area:
"The quality of life here is important to me," he said by telephone on Tuesday. "I could go places and make more money. But I just love living here and we feel good about the direction of this program."
So do we, Coach. So do we.

3 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Tedford...even his QB wristband even though he hasn't taken a snap in years.

I can't wait for the day when I hear more of, "Well, SC recruited me but I just couldn't turn down Cal, their academics, their program, and their facilities. SC is too ghetto and enough already with your weak-ass mascot."

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the timing of this announcement is key -- should help allay recruits' fears that Tedford might leave.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger California Pete said...

Just throwing this out there: Who leaves their current job first, Tedford or Carroll? Personally, I hope neither leaves for a sweet long time, because I sincerely believe it could blossom into an annual coaching rivalry on par with Spurrier-Bowden, Osborne-Switzer, and maybe even Schembechler-Hayes. Realistically, though, I suspect we'll be lucky to see even five more years of this matchup.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home